Personal History Website

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Tucson May 3, 1967

Dear Family,
David gets the original copy. We were glad to hear from you David. Your letter broke
the cob webs in the mail box at our new address. I called Mrs. Lance to get the news of John
and she said to tell you that John made Radioman 3/C, that his sister Kelly? Kitty?, is in Russia
on some sort of Student exchange. She said that Rusty Moser is expected home from Viet Nam
very soon. The Lance Family is moving to Washington for good. She said she hopes to see
you if you go East. We heard that you bought a new Polaroid camera. How about having one of
the boys take your picture when you write next. Marion says you were gaining weight, but
Mother would like to see some concrete evidence of this. Have you any dope about future
orders? Keep us posted.
Mother just about has this house fixed to suit her. She can at least sit down and take a
rest once in a while. Her leg keeps hurting her. We are going to the doctor today. Maybe they
can do something about it. Her back has been bothering her too. The other day I was called by
my old boss to do a job for him in Casas Grandes and she mopped and waxed the floors while I
was gone. This is probably one of the reasons her back is hurting her.
Lloyd, did you find out anything about that exercise board? How about calling the
Chamber of Commerce in Compton. If you will get me an address I will order from here. Mother
insists that it did her a lot of good.
It has been sunny here, but we have had a cold wind. I wore my heaviest suit to church
Sunday. By the way they have a new set up at conference here. They have two morning
sessions dividing the wards. It is easy to get a soft seat. The afternoon session is for everybody
as a lot of people usually do not go.
This place is quite comfortable. I don’t know how it will be in the winter but I am already
shivering. It has no central heating and believe me we won’t go through another winter like we
did in the other house. We also have a hard time getting a bed just right for us. This one,
although just right for me, was too soft for Mother and hurt her back because she sunk in too
much. I solved this by laying some one inch by 12 boards across the center of the bed, (short
ways). Mother now sleeps comfortable, but, when one of us is in bed and the other sits down on
his or her end of the boards, he or she gets tossed. As I am the one in bed first, I am beginning
to feel like a “sputnik”.
We talked to Marta by phone since I wrote last. Lloyd was over the week end after we
were and helped them do the things we would like to have done. She said she was still feeling
pretty good. We hope she has not overdone on getting the home in shape.
Bill, David said you wrote him about building a catamaran to float on Paradise Lake. You
had better take it to the Flamingo Gorge where you can catch some fish.
WRITERS GET GOOD COPIES
All our Love, Dad

No comments: