Personal History Website

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Kailua, Oahu Hawaii Makalii 361

1-21-66


My dear son, Carol & Mark,
We were glad to receive your letter and I am going to answer right away.
You dint say a word about your brother but we call a week ago and he must be in U.S. payroll by now. At least he expected to be. Marta promise to write more of it.
About your birth, here it is (as I remember it). It was on Halloween day about 4 am Rocky Mountain Time, on a clear and very cold morning since we were at Los Varas (to the Ranches) on Estacion Babicora (to the Railroad co.) which is high in the Chihuahua Sierra Madre, about 600 miles south of El Paso Texas, in the year of our Lord 1934. You had a normal babyhood, with all the regular colics, colds, and a case of pneumonia that almost took your life and which I beliebe to this day was spared for the prayer of the L.D.S. friends. We were not even familiar with the Church at that time. You have had measles, whooping cough, chicken pox, mumps, bruises, scratches, arms out of place, foot cut etc. etc. mostly ear infections. But even with all that aches and pain you were a quite docile and obedient son. In your adolescent years you were more of a problem most of it your quick temper, and some stubbornness, but never lazy or disrespectful, in fact you were very much a gentleman. No I am not paying you compliments or building you up. It is nothing but the truth.
That is all the information I can give you.
I will add that you are the best son a mother can wish.
Yes I am much better and if all goes well we should be back there in April but can’t be sure. We like our apartment, the first night here we blow a fuse and went to bed in the dark but we are getting more familiar now. We had a rain and hail storm yesterday but today is sunny and warm.
I do wish you guys the best on house hunting and since your 1st anniversary is picking in the horizon also may it be a happy one.
We will let you know near the time of our return.
May our Lord keep all of you in good health and happy looking ahead for the big event coming. I do hope is a girl. May our Lord bless you.

All my Love,

Mother

1 comment:

Julie said...

Wow, this was so interesting to me, I never remember Grandma writing. I only have memories of Grandpas Decker. Mimi, thanks for including this.