Personal History Website

Saturday, February 20, 2010

November 28, 1969

Dear Family,
We were really “Gozando” the visit of the Wilsons. The Thanksgiving dinner was a big success- the first that Mother had been solely responsible for, for many a year. To-day was cold and blustery. Bob went golfing, (the south course at Randolph). I baby sat while Marta and Mother went shopping. We were sitting around this evening getting ready to make a tape to the Stobbes, (on Bob’s recorder), when the phone rang.---
It was Bill with some terrible news. Little Lloyd was killed to-day in an automobile accident. Bill, Fran and Lloyd were on the way home from Vernal, where they had been shopping, someway their car went out of control and overturned. Lloyd was killed instantly. I was so shook that I don’t know if I got the rest of the message right or not, but as I understood, no one else was injured.
As Bill said, it will leave a big vacuum in that family, as each and every one of them loved him so much. I find it hard to understand, but surely He has a reason for this and maybe someday we will understand—if we live worthily enough to associate with Lloyd in the hereafter.
I would be very glad if you all prayed for that family and would be kind enough to write to them. There is not much we can say, but at least you can let them know that you love them and commiserate with them.
We received a letter from David to-day. He became a “Reluctant Hero” while en-route to Hawaii. It seems that a Sister Ship had electronic trouble and had no one to repair same. They sent David aboard the ship via ‘High-line’. He still sounded a little ‘shook up’ when he wrote, but it was the best letter he has written since he left home. We really enjoyed it- Wilsons also. I can’t blame him for being ‘shook up’ I think I would have rebelled.
David, I went on a picnic to Subic Bay when there was nothing but a few native huts. I understand there is quite an installation there now. Keep writing those long letters. I think you should be happy to be able to read one for a change. We thought of you Thanksgiving, as Mother made two of your favorite dishes. Waldorf salad and LOTS OF WHITE MEAT.
The Wilsons join us in sending their love. They are heading back home to-marrow.
Vaya Con Dios
Dad

No comments: