Personal History Website

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Tucson, December 27, 1966

Dear Family,

We enjoyed our Christmas at Marta’s. It was the largest segment of our family we have seen for many a year. Lloyd and Carol, Mark and Brian J. were over the day before Christmas Eve. We had home evening, then played games. Marta’s little neighbor, (Brenda age 15), who is a recent convert to our Church, (Marta again) joined us.

Brian J. McKay is quite a boy. He stayed up past his bed time and was wide eyed, listening to the program. When we sang he looked from one to the other of us and cried when we stopped singing, (most babies would have cried when we started). David came to Lloyd’s and we brought him back with us. He has leave until January 3. He is learning that almost all of his old buddies have gone into the service or are in the process of doing so. He took one to the air port last night.

Mother and I thank you for your thoughtful little gifts, although I am a little surprised at you Betty. It looks like you are relegating me to the rocking chair and cracker barrel before my time. It may not be too long at that. We read the article in the last Rader’s Digest, called “The World’s Worst Killer” referring to my ailment, emphysema. It describes the ailment pretty well and has scared mother. It particularly warns against any cold or irritation to the lungs. I am just about over a condition that I acquired during the last days in Mexico. For this reason Marion, Mother turned thumbs down on our going to San Francisco while it was storms there. We left L.A. in a rain storm as it was. It is for this reason we are contemplating going to Hawaii the first days of February.

Lloyd and Carol, When I saw that book, “The Latter Day Saints, Then and Now”, I wanted it very much, but I am such a tight wad that I was not about to pay $7.00 for it. Then I thought of a way to kill two birds with one stone, read it and then give it some one for Christmas! Mother and I were fascinated with the book. Even though it is written by a non Mormon, it makes me very proud to be one. I started to read it to Mother as she did her morning house work and I often found myself still reading long after she had finished her work and her sitting and listening. I guess I am a sort of Indian giver because it would please me very much if you would pass the book on to some of your kin, especially Marion, as it should answer a lot of her questions especially on Polygamy and the Negros.

Fran, thanks lots for the picture of Lloyd Edward, Boy! Is he growing! He looks almost like one of the twins. I suppose when we see him this summer he will be big enough to toss the twins over his shoulder. We see that you have had the dubious honor of being the coldest place in the nation twice this month, Brrrrrr!

Mother and David join me in wishing you a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

Vaya Con Dios,

Dad

No comments: