Personal History Website

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Tucson June 12, 1968

Dear Family,

Today was to have been the day they operated on Mother. I ordered her a bouquet of roses
with a happy Anniversary tag, to be delivered about the time she came out of surgery. She got the
flowers, but she was not operated on. Something made her very ill yesterday, she did not know what,
but attributed it to some of the stuff they injected into her arm for allergy tests. Her heart was acting up
also, which was the reason the Dr. did not want to operate on her to-day. In as much as much as they
had postponed the operation one day, we propositioned the Dr. to postpone it until the Stobbes left, but
he quickly put thumbs down. He said the operation should be performed as soon as possible.

June 13th

I am writing on my anniversary-Father’s Day present and so far I have not learned all the quirks.
Bear with me and some day you will get a nice copy.

I have saved the Anniversary cards you sent and will take them to her today. The nurse told me
last night that Mother is not scheduled for surgery today. Mother called me last night and told me that
she was feeling much better, had eaten for the first time in two days.

I enclosed this effort in my card to Mother;

MY DARLING

We have done many things on this our day

As we journeyed down the years

Although most were done with laughter

A few were done with tears

From Mexico’s Secret fastness

To Hawaii’s pearly strand

We have done the things we loved to do

As we have done them hand in hand

We have always splurged on this our day

Although sometimes in the red

I never thought at this late date

You would spend our day in bed.

June 14, 1968

I am a bit discouraged. The skin pop that caused Mother’s upset was the one for TB, now the Doctor
thinks she might possibly have TB of the bone. I talked to him last night. He is not positive of his
diagnosis, but has delayed operating on her until Monday at the earliest. I have to go to Nogales
Saturday. I have asked the Relief Society to visit her then. I wish some of you would call her Sunday.
Just ask the Operator to get her in room 5 at the Davis Monthan Hospital. She is very cheerful about
the whole thing, but I know she would like to hear from you.

Vaya Con Dios,

Dad

No comments: