Personal History Website

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Guadalajara, 2 October 1967

Hotel Fenix

My Beloved Family:

This includes your mother as I am here alone working. It has been a long time since I arrived by
air and no one was waiting to greet me. It made me feel rather blue. The trip down was very bumpy as
it was cloudy all the way, but the plane- a jet, is not at all bad. After dinner this evening, I found a barber
shop, (I was beginning to look hippy) and had a manicure to get my spirits up. I miss you my darling
Wife and it is no fun going places without you anymore.

I have a hard day’s work tomorrow and hope to catch the plane to Mexico City at 7 p.m.

We received letters from Bill, Marta and Rina in that order. They are home and I don’t
remember much they said. Bill’s garden was frozen. Marta was writing from the Hospital, where she
went for a check-up. I remember that she said that the Young Marrieds, I believe from her old Ward,
gave them a high chair for the baby.

Rina’s letter was full of church activities, it appears that the Navel Base is not far from them and
they entertain Mormon Sailors quite frequently.

David is becoming our most constant Correspondent. I am going to have to cut him out of this
decker, so you can send your copy to him Mother. He told us that he had gone to church with a Mormon
friend-which as you might suppose, made Mother very happy. When Mother and I went to Rocky Point
last month, they almost did not let her go. They would accept nothing but a Birth Certificate, or a
certificate of citizenship. Just by luck, she had her’s with her.

My ID card has always been sufficient identification, but I told her this morning that I was going
to take my Certificate, just in case. It is a good thing I did. We did not go through Immigration until we
got to Obregon and they took two Americans off the plane who did not have a Birth Certificate.

Muy Buenos noches, con todo mi carino

Su Marido ye Padre

No comments: