Personal History Website

Sunday, August 29, 2010

September 23, 1967

Dear Family,

We have decided not to go to Utah for Conference. We have prayed about this. We feel that it
would be just too much traveling for Mother at this time. While the Cortisone shot seems to be doing
some good, the Dr. told her to take it easy until he sees her again the first of next month. We would not
go to the McKays without going across to the Meekers. We feel that this would be just too much
traveling for Mother at this time. Then too, Mother wants to be available in case Marta should need her.
I am sorry about this. I so I wanted to see my namesake before he started chopping down trees.

We received a nice long letter from David. He sent us a news clipping about the USS Somers,
(this is the first time I knew how to spell the name). According to this clipping David is among the
advance techs that are getting the ship ready for commission. She will not be completed until May;
however her crew will join her in December. Thanks for the letter David. If you ever get a chance to
attend other schools, be sure to do it.

By the way you Stobbes, David says you owe him a letter. We have been wondering about you
as we have not received a letter from you for more than a week. We realize that the typhoon did not hit
you, (according to the papers). But we wondered if you had to take in some refugees from Wake,
although the paper said they all went to Hawaii.

We talked to Marta over the phone and she seems to be quite chipper. Bob has been working a
lot of extra hours lately. By-the-way Bob, I see that your GI bill allowance will increase. There is also a
provision in this new bill whereby a Vet with vision permanently impaired can get up to $1,600.00
toward the purchase of a car. If I just had the gift of persuasion of Frank I could get most of that. As it is
I will probably get $1.60 or thereabouts. At any rate I am going to apply for it as I need something to
help me drive at night.

What has happened to the Smog bound McKays? I have been giving you lower and lower copies
of the “Decker” hoping that you would get the hint that “Writers get legible copies”. We would like to
hear about Brian Jon. Is he walking yet?

The following is David’s address. I am sure he would appreciate a letter from any you.

SM L.D. McKay B 801707

USS Somers (DDO-34)

S.F. Navy Shipyard

Hunters Point

San Francisco Cal. 94135

No comments: