Personal History Website

Monday, January 11, 2010

South Lake Tahoe, June 29, 1969


Dear Family:

We enjoyed our stay with the Jenkins very much. It was warm and sunny. No dust, no smog and the altitude is not enough to make me choke. The Jenkins were, well—just the Jenkins. Dorthy has succeeded in spoiling Patty’s boy, no end, but he is a cute little tike and even has gruff old John eating out of his hand. They bought a 24’ wide trailer house when they sold their house in Pinole and although they had a heck of a time getting it hauled in, (in pieces) and set up, it is really something. It looks like it it is set in a virgin forest. The dining room overlooks a deep timbered canyon. One sits entranced just looking out the windows.

NOW! Hear this! The Jenkins have offered us the little house they lived in before, rent free. To stay as long as we wish and return when we wish. They have fixed the little place so that it would be quite comfortable for just Mother and I. In as much as I felt so good there, we are considering it quite seriously. What do you think? We would be about 150 miles from Betty and about the same from Marion, closer to Lloyd and Marta than Tucson.

Last Monday we received a call from Marion at the Jenkins proposing that we meet them here and camp out. I was all for it, as I hated to go to that cold Bay Area. We stuck it out in camp for three days, but believe me I was sure glad to get under Bob’s and Betty’s roof last night. We almost froze in our little tent. The days have been nice here, but a cold wind has been blowing and nights have been freezing.

Bob Rice has acquired a pedigreed Brittany Spaniel pup, which he intends to raise as a hunting dog, (it is already pointing), but believe me it has sure upset this household as far as Queenie is concerned. She hates the new arrival and is jealous of every pat it receives. The way she upstages the pup is almost human. I suppose she will become accustomed to Princess, but she has owned this family for so long, that she just can’t bear to see another animal receive any of the love, that has been her’s alone.

David called us from the Bay Area. His ship is now on the way to Hawaii. David, when or if you get shore leave I suggest you call the Hollenbeck residence in Kailua Tel 267-276. Rina may still be there.

Rina, everything has been so hectic that I am not sure that we received a letter from you since my last Decker. I know we owe a letter to Julie. Tell her I will write when we get home. We will blame Marta, (partly), for not going to Hawaii, or at least trying too. Her being 10 days late in giving birth to Heather as well as my feeling poorly kept us from the attempt.

I am going to call Bill to-day. If it is cold there we will go on back to Tucson and try to decide on our future .

Vay a Con Dios,

Dad

No comments: