Personal History Website

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Tucson, November 4, 1969

Dear Family,
Last week, Grandma shook out her cloak, belted on her dagger and went with me on a case in Mexico. I did not get her on the payroll, but I did get her on the expense account. She was able to obtain information of value to the investigation, just by going to a R.S. meeting in the L.D.S. Church in the town in which we were working, and keeping her ears open. She did a lot of complaining though and I am afraid she will strike for higher wages if we have to go again. Although we stayed in the best Hotel in town, it was pretty bad. I stuck my foot through the sheet the first night and dreamed I was being hung. The food was Blah! In trying to cater to Tourist tastes they have made a mess. It took a couple of days to get my stomach back on an even keel after we got home. At any rate we can sure use the money. We plan to pay off Mother’s Sewing machine and buy a few things we have not been able to afford, such as a razor for me and another high density light, (the one you gave me sure spoiled me).
Mother’s dressmaker made her a little hurry-up jumper like dress, to take on the trip and believe me she looked very sweet and chic in it. I like it better than any dress she has worn for a long time, (she wore the white blouse you gave her Betty), I was quite proud of her. I will send you a picture of her in the dress as soon as Lloyd sends me the camera he is lending me.
We received a letter from Marta. She sounded a bit blue because their lawyer does not think they have much of a chance in suing the Construction Co. and their Dr. and Hospital bill will be around 1500,00.00. I think there is something wrong about this. I wish Frank, (Stobbe), was there to give you some advice and/or go to bat for you. I am sure, that if it was him, he would go to that Construction Co. and throw such a bluff about how he was going to sue them- if it took his best cow, that they would be glad to pay the medical expenses.
We also received a letter from the Stobbes. Frank’s leg is still bothering him and he has scheduled a new medical examination. Let us know how it comes out Rina. You forgot to include the name of the object you wanted us to send you. Mother has already written you a hurry-up letter.
Bill, while we were in Cananea, Mother tried to look up her grandparents on her Mother’s side (Lucero) who at one time resided there. She found there were not records earlier than 1902. She was told that earlier records may be in Arispe Son., (One gets there by Burro Express).
David, this in your last edition until we hear from you. Unless your plans have changed you should be sailing in a few days. You may miss these epistles when you are in those Mongolian waters.
Marion, we have not heard from you since we came home.

Vaya con Dios
Dad

No comments: