Personal History Website

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Tucson October 8, 1969

Dear Family:-
We are settling down, becoming reconciled to our losses. We still have nightmares once in awhile. Mother will wake up, remember something else that was burned and take inventory the rest of the night. She has been missing a lot of sleep.
We are slowly replenishing our wardrobes. We got a second hand sewing machine for Mother. She is having such a hard time finding dresses to fit her, (lengthwise), that she has vowed to make her own. A couple of my worn out old suits were left here, which I am wearing to church now. I would make them do for a long time, if it wasn’t for the fact that I may get a job that will require me to be decently dressed.
Bill, we received your letter, I don’t think that there is much you can do for us. You will have to come and see us from now on. I don’t think we will ever take that long trip to Roosevelt.
Marta in answer to you query, many of the things, the more valuable things, I don’t think we will ever replace, such as; Temple garments, reading lamps, camera, tape recorder, clocks, toaster etc. etc. We will get a new typewriter, (I am using a borrowed one), as I would be lost without one and need one for church work as well as personal and business affairs. I have asked Lloyd and Carol to try to find an electric sheet for us. It is beginning to get nippy at night and we could not find one in Tucson.
Carol if you cannot find an electric sheet, let us know and we will get an electric blanket here.
David, that key holder you gave me last Christmas was the only thing that kept us from driving back to Tucson with a hot wired car. The steel case kept the keys from melting. We never did find Mother’s set. I would ask you to come see us before you take off for Korea waters, but I doubt if that “Fit”, “Fiat” or whatever you call it, would make it across the desert.
Rina and Frank, thanks a million for your generosity. We were able to replenish the hundred and one little things around the house, which you are so used to having around, that you don’t realize, until they are gone, that there is a big hole in your daily living. We hope you have a nice trip especially of the hot-shot train.
We are always glad to hear from you,
Vaya con Dios,
Dad

No comments: