Personal History Website

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Tucson, Nov. 18, 1969

Dear Family,
David probably sailed for Oriental waters yesterday. The ships schedule called for stop overs at Hawaii and Guam. He was quite enthused at the thought of seeing the Stobbe children.
We did quite well in the mail this week. Letters from two mothers explaining that their teenage daughters were too busy to answer my letters to them. To tell the truth I actually did not expect Mimi and Robin to write, knowing they were busy with Seminary from the wee hours of the morning to boyfriends and school work until late hours at night, to say nothing of Church activities.
We were very glad to hear of Robin’s and Roberta’s good grades. As for Renee, you can tell her for me that I know she has as many “Smarts” as anyone in the family. Maybe she has a touch of acedia, or maybe she has been infected by lymphatism, topped off by a good dose of faineance.
It looks like Roberta wrinkled her nose and bewitched her teacher, just like she has done the rest of us.
Marion we hope now that you have help in the store you will write oftener. Our rains are over and it is getting rather chilly at nights. I would appreciate that old sweater I left at your place.
Rina, we sympathize with you and we think you are doing the right thing. Your family comes first. There are always people on Church, without family responsibilities, who can take over the activities. Mother has written you under separate cover endorsing your plan. Tell the children we received their package and that I will write them soon.
The nicest thing that has happened to us in a long time, was a call we received at six thirty the other morning from the Wilsons. They are coming to spend Thanksgiving Day with us!
Rinda has recovered enough to go back to school, but it looks to me Rina, that Marta is like you—too many Church responsibilities.
Our Bishop has been bugging us ever since we returned to Tucson, wanting to give us assistance from welfare. We told him that we did not need anything, but he sat me down one day and put me under interrogation about our losses. He insisted on writing a Bishops Order to Deseret Industries for clothes for both of us as well as a typewriter. We went to Mesa the other day to check it out. We could not find any clothes our size, but I did get a typewriter. A big two story Underwood, like the first one I ever wrote on.
Mother joins me in sending her love. We hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Vaya Con Dios
Dad

No comments: