Personal History Website

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Tucson, 24 October

Dear Family,
To start with Lloyd and Carol, we received your package. The last few miles must have been by Burro, because it took a week to get here. The Wallet is just what I wanted. We have the electric sheet in operation and believe me, it is nice to slide into a warm bed. I am so cold footed, that, without the sheet, it takes me hours to get my feet warm-usually at the expense of Mother. You must have gone to great lengths to find the sheet. None of our friends were aware that such an article was even manufactured. Muchimos gracias!
Bill, it was nice hearing from you, even though you had to be flat on your back with the flu, before you could find time to write. We hope you are feeling better. The bug seems to be going around. I was rather under the weather last week end and I am having rather a hard time throwing it off, but our weather has been unsettled. I will be OK when it settles down. We were glad to know that you got a chance to do some more genealogy work. I would like to know just when the McKays migrated to Oregon. I could not find them in the 1880 Census? My sister Grace has sold her home in Portland and has moved to Phoenix. We will go see her soon and try to pin her down on the Alexander bit.
Rina, your letter sounds as though the children had a good time in Japan, even though you had to make a forced landing coming home. Reading the papers, we were very glad you got home when you did. The riots in Tokyo did not sound a bit good. We will be more than delighted to have Julie. We will send her an invitation under separate cover.
This has been a red letter time for correspondence. Betty also wrote, (I answered under separate cover), she sent the following thought:
COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS
I sighed because the day was dark
And then I met a child who had no eyes
I complained because the walk was long
Until I met a man who had no legs
I prayed for wealth beyond my need
Until I met a poor soul with no bread at all
Oh, God, forgive me- for the world in mine.

Just talked to Marta. It looks like our prayers have been answered. Marta says the Doctors are amazed at how beautifully she is healing. The scars will hardly be noticeable. She corrected my last report- it was not plastic surgery, but reconstruction surgery Rinda underwent.

We love you,
Vaya Con Dios,
Dad


PS. To Lloyd

We noticed that you did not send the camera and mixer. We wondered if you are mailing another package or just decided not to send the above items.
Mother and I are going to Cananea Tuesday, where I have some work. We are mighty grateful for the job. We are trying to keep from going into debt. Just trying to replenish our wardrobe is worrying us. I had to buy a new suit, which I need mostly for business purposes. Mother is being very choosy about her clothes and has just about decided to make them, or have them made. Again, thanks from our hearts, for your kindness.
WHAT IS YOUR PHONE NUMBER?
We have wanted to call you several times, but our book was burned and we do not have your UNLISTED number. Are you afraid some of us colored folks will bug you?
Give Mark and Brian our love,
Dad

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

--Thank you, thank you. It's so fun to go back in time thru Dad's deckers. We'd forgotten a lot of the stuff that went on in our hectic lives. Mimi, we're so grateful for all the work you put into it. We love you and are right now praying for Bill. We'll be calling you soon. love, Rina and Frank