Personal History Website

Monday, December 6, 2010

News Year Day, 1968

Dear Family,

It looked for a while as though Mother and I would spend New Year’s Eve in a river or mud hole in northern Mexico. After a week of deluge we finally took off on that Mexican job Wednesday. We had to go to Cananea and Hermosillo. Cananea is the mining town whose lights we saw Marta, when we were living out on that ranch near Ft. Huachuca. There is a paved highway that runs from Cananea to the Nogales highway. When we turned off on this road our troubles began. Bridges were washed out and we had to drive for miles over rough sandy, boggy detours. I think Mother splintered the floor boards she pressed so hard.

It took us about six hours to drive 50 miles. We had to return over the same road to go on to Hermosillo. We were stuck in the middle of a river on this part of the journey and had to wait for a truck to come along to pull us out. I know the Lord was with us or we would not have made it. We helped several people who had damaged their cars badly. We were one day in Hermosillo. Our Hotel was near the Market. (we had stayed here with Rina once before). Mother shopped while I worked.

I wish to take this opportunity to thank you all for your thoughtful Christmas gifts. Marion your package did not come until after Christmas – just as we were taking off. We took them with us and believe me those flaming night shirts and caps, (flannel) came in mighty handy in those cold Mexican Hotels. We wondered if the maids cleaning the rooms, seeing those red and white night caps and night shirts, thought that Santa Claus had been there.

We returned to Tucson Saturday Evening and we are still tired. We do not intend to do a thing this New Years day except sit here in our cozy Apartment.

Saturday night the Bishop called me in for Tithing settlement. I was so tired that I could hardly wriggle. I guess he thought it would be a good time to hit me when I was groggy. He asked me to take over the secretary of Senior Aaronics job. Last night the old Secretary dropped off a stack of books two ft. high. Mother promised to help me with the book work, but now that she has seen all the work to do, I think she has reservations.

Hey David! Just when is the commissioning? Just because you have a new girl you don’t have to desert us altogether.

We love you. We pray that Our Heavenly Father will watch over you and guide you during this New Year.

Dad

PS

Lloyd, we go Brian a cowboy hat in Mexico. We want a pic of him in it.

No comments: